According to the City of Stafford’s Subdivision Ordinance Section 82-5, “It shall be unlawful for any person to subdivide any tract, lot or parcel of land within the city or its extraterritorial jurisdiction unless and until a preliminary and final plat of such subdivision has been approved in accordance with the terms of this article.” If you intend to sell your land or subdivide it into lots, blocks or reserves, platting may be required. You should first contact Chris Riggs to determine whether a Pre-Development Meeting with city staff is necessary. His information is available on the Pre-Development Services page.
If you have already talked to Chris or had the Pre-Development Meeting with staff, here are the articles that outline the process for legally platting your property:
- Chapter 82 Subdivision Ordinance for Stafford, Texas located on www.municode.com.
- Download the Plat Application Packet which contains:
- Plat Application Forms and Fees
- Plat Application for Variance
- Plat Checklist
Once you have completed your research, contact the Public Works department to schedule a Preliminary Conference. This can be a face-to-face meeting or conducted over the phone. This conference should help you navigate through the process to get your plat approved in a timely fashion. Let them know the following:
- You would like to schedule a Preliminary Conference,
- Your preference on over the phone or face-to-face meeting,
- Identify who you are (Engineer, Broker, Property Owner),
- Address of property,
- Has the property been platted,
- Your availability at least ten (10) business days prior to the preferred plat submittal deadline.