Request a Trial & Hearing

General Information

If you plead "Not Guilty" and have a trial, you will lose the right to take the Driving Safety Course.

You may be represented by an attorney, or you may represent yourself on your own case at your trial or hearing. If you decide to have an attorney represent you, you must notify the court, in writing, at least 10 days prior to your hearing. You cannot be represented by someone who is not licensed as an attorney.

Criminal Traffic Trial

The state is represented by a prosecutor who must prove the charges against you, as stated on the complaint. The state presents its case first by calling witnesses to testify against you. You will be allowed to hear all the testimony against you. After each witness has testified, you will have an opportunity to ask questions of the witness if you wish.

After the state has presented its case, you may present your case. You may call other witnesses who know something about the incident, to testify for you. You may testify on your own behalf, but you are not required to do so. If you do not testify, your silence cannot be used against you. If you do testify, the prosecutor will have an opportunity to cross-examine you.


If you are found "Guilty", the Judge will state your penalty. This penalty may be different from the amount listed on the Fine Schedule given to you by the Police Officer.


You have the right to appeal a final disposition/judgment of the Stafford Municipal Court. You must submit an appeal bond in the amount of twice the fine and costs within ten calendar days of the date of judgment. If the bond is approved, the case is transferred to the Fort Bend County Court for a trial de novo (new trial).