Things to Consider Before Animal Adoption
The Missouri City Animal Shelter cares for and attempts to find suitable homes for the many stray, abandoned, and orphaned cats and dogs found on the streets of Stafford and Missouri City. Before adopting a pet, we suggest you consider the following:
- Consider your budget. Adopting a pet requires you to consider the amount of time and funding it takes to provide food, shelter, and medical care for the animal.
- Consider your lifestyle. Consider all issues related to the effect the animal may or may not have and how you may need to adjust.
- Are you away from the house for a considerable amount of time?
- Do you travel a lot?
- Will you have the time to train, socialize and offer companionship to a new animal?
- Consult the whole family. Everyone who has to live with the animal should be in agreement before adopting the animal. Everyone should consider his or her involvement in the care of the animal. If you have small children, consider who will care for the animal once the kids lose interest.
- Don't make a spur-of-the-moment decision to adopt. Seeing a cute, furry animal "in the store window," or your children hounding you, are not good reasons to adopt.
- Evaluate your living accommodations. Do you rent or lease? If so, there may be a pet deposit or pets may not be allowed at all. Consult your leasing company or landlord before adopting.
Missouri City Animal Shelter
1919 Scanlin Road
Missouri City, Texas 77489